Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Waiting for the Inevitable

We had our family reunion this weekend. About 60 people showed up. By far the smallest reunion so far, but it was also later in the summer than our usual reunion.

One of the adopted members of the family, L, and his family came as usual. I wasn't sure they'd be here this year. L has lung cancer. He looks pale and thin and ill and I have the feeling that this was the last time I'll see him. I think he knows it too. When we hugged good-bye I didn't get the usual "Take care kiddo we'll see you later." This time I got "Take care kiddo. I love you." I think this is the first time he's told me that. At least it's the first one I remember. I think it was truly a final good-bye. It's hard to get all the emotions that I feel into this post. I also find it extremely hard to type when I'm crying. I guess what it boils down to is tell your loved ones that you love them every chance you get, they are never with us long enough.

Thanks for reading my blog and please feel free to comment.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My last words with my father-in-law before he died of a massive heart attack (completely blindsiding us) were "I love you." I always live each day like it's my last when it comes to relationships. I'm sorry L is sick. I'll pray for him tonight...

7/20/2008 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Thanks for your comment on my blog today. I think next time I go hiking, I should go with YOU! :)

7/22/2008 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home