Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Wow...a second career

This past fall I was recruited by my mom to take my brother's senior pictures. Being in a small town, there is only one photo studio. They either had to book a sitting early in his junior year to get a time they wanted, or go someplace out of town so my mom decided that since I like taking pictures, and I'm pretty good at it (if I do say so myself) I could save them money by taking Spud's pictures myself and ordering prints online through Wal-Mart.

This worked out pretty well, and he got quite a few compliments on the pictures. I was pretty proud of the work I'd done and showed the pictures to some of my co-workers.

Monday one of those co-workers approached me and asked if I would be willing to take senior pictures for her daughter. After much discussion I agreed. I'm a tiny bit freaked out about it. Spud's pictures weren't any less important, but he wasn't paying me to take pictures. This time I'm getting money.

Momma L told me to come up with a price and let her know, and when I told her she actually laughed and told me she was definitely paying me more than that. So far I'm no good at the business part of it. Wish me luck!

Thanks for reading my blog, and please feel free to comment.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody pays me for the pictures I take--enjoy!

7/09/2008 10:10 PM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

I've never been paid for any of my pictures before. Hope I do a good job. I'm also considering entering a picture in the open class at the county fair. Thanks for commenting!

7/11/2008 6:55 PM  
Blogger Mrs4444 said...

Well, come on! Let's see 'em!!!

7/20/2008 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home