Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Life in the Great Plains

Mrs. 4444 of Half-Past Kissin' Time asked me about living in the Great Plains. She said it sounded "romantic and cowboyish". I guess it can be at times, but I'd say it's more cowboyish than romantic.

I grew up in a ranch family. We ride horses. We rodeo. We hunt. We fish. We spend a lot of time outdoors. I'd post some pictures here if I knew how.

I don't tell people online where I live, because it's a small town. The 2000 census put us at slightly over 5,600. My parents live in a town of slightly less than 3,000. I work for a government agency and I want to be a teacher someday, so I felt it prudent not to throw my name around on the internet.

As far as my home state, Nebraska, goes there are some really interesting places to visit. There are forts that date from the 1880's Indian Wars era to WWII. There are some really neat state parks and museums. Some of these places require driving on dirt roads (and I mean dirt, they rarely have gravel) to get there.

If you ever get to Nebraska, even if you're just driving through, DO NOT drive I-80. I-80 will take you across the most boring and flat part of our state. Drive on Highway 20 instead, it actually has scenery.

And don't forget to stop at Carhenge

2 Comments:

Blogger Skeeter said...

In that way Oklahoma and Nebraska have a lot in common. Love the pictures of the Plains and horses! You have a wonderful blog. Thanks for sharing your stories and images. Best wishes.

4/01/2008 1:03 AM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

Thanks so much for the kind words. I have plenty of pictures (I'm a camera nut) and tons of stories, so I hope to share quite a bit. I was in Oklahoma about 15 years ago and thought it was kinda pretty. Hotter than snot, but pretty. We spent a week in the Shawnee and OK City area in late July.

4/01/2008 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home