Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Media Bias

We all know that media bias occurs, but there are times when it becomes glaringly obvious. I had one of those tonight. I was watching CNN and they were airing a show called Broken Government: Scorched Earth. On this program was a segment about prairie dogs, black-footed ferrets, and Conata Basin. Believe me when I say that I have quite a bit of knowledge about this topic. I work for a Government agency mentioned in the broadcast.

So, knowing the issue and knowing the proposed response by said agency it really ticked me off to hear the news guy state at least twice that the plan was to "exterminate" the prairie dogs in Conata Basin. My dictionary defines exterminate thus: to get rid of by destroying; destroy totally; extirpate: to exterminate an enemy; to exterminate insects. I've read the plan. I've been in detailed discussions of the plan. No where in the plan is there any mention of "extermination" or anything resembling extermination, but thanks to the media, people who haven't even taken the time to read the proposed action will be screaming about things about which they are uninformed.

Thank you for reading my blog. Please leave me a comment.

3 Comments:

Blogger hick town teacher said...

Wait till you’re a teacher, and it seems that the only time a news camera or newspaper talks about a school is when a school shooting occurs, or when a teacher does something stupid. The media is about sensationalism and receiving ratings, so they can pay the bills. I thought "yellow journalism” was a thing of the past? Where's the integrity; shouldn’t their main goal be to publish the unbiased truth?

2/23/2008 9:55 PM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

HTT,
I guess we all know that the media is biased, but it's way more noticeable when the story is one you're familiar with. I know Nebraska only makes the national news when the state looks like it's filled with hillbilly freaks.

BTW, thanks for reading and commenting. I honestly didn't think anyone read my blog.

2/23/2008 10:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Given the context in which the word was used, it was accurate. They used the word "exterminate" in refrence to the area in which the poison was being applyed, adjacent to the protected range of the black footed ferret. In this area, they are trying to exterminate the prairie dogs, per the request of the 12 or so ranchers that are compaining about the effects these animals are having on the government owned grazing grounds. Taken as a whole- the statments made were accurate.

2/25/2008 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home