Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

I did it!

Well I made it through my first teaching experience. I'd like to thank Polski3 for the words of wisdom and encouragement. I feel that it went pretty well. We were supposed to have a 20 minute lesson and mine was 15 at a stretch, so I need to work on accurately timing lessons when I plan them. I needed to better engage my fellow students in the lesson. I basically did a lecture with power point, which I'm sure would be appropriate from time to time, but I need to give the students a reason to participate in the lesson so they better understand and retain the knowledge. During these lessons we critique each other, and I got lots of positive comments on poise and clarity. I had statements that I had good presence, control, and authority in the room. Once I started my lesson, I wasn't really nervous except when I realized that it was going to be short. One person stated that I needed to have more enthusiasm during the lesson, so that is something I need to work on for next time. Like I said I think it went well considering it was my first time, and I got lots of good comments on what I did well and what I need to work on. Thanks again Polski3 for your encouragement.

Thank you for reading my blog, and please feel free to comment.

1 Comments:

Blogger W.R. Chandler said...

I always have pre-planned higher thinking-level questions peppered throughout the lecture that I previously put in there. It forces the students to take their brain off auto-pilot during notetaking and process what we are talking about.

When I do PPT lectures, I always make sure that there is at least one higher level question per slide.

There's my tip for the day :)

11/01/2006 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home