Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Should we ruffle some feathers?

I was just reading an article about an opera in Berlin that was cancelled because there was a fear that it would offend Muslims. I'm not going to get into my personal feelings on the anger of Muslims, but was this an over reaction to a percieved threat?

Should we be worried that we may offend someone with our art? Or is it only necessary to worry about offending those who may react violently? Is it ok to offend some groups but not others? How do you approach this topic in a classroom full of high schoolers?

One of my assignments this week is to create a lesson on a controversial topic. It seems like almost every topic these days is controversial to someone.

Thank you for reading my blog, and please feel free to comment.

5 Comments:

Blogger wolfline said...

Yes, let's ruffle them old feathers. Some people get so offended by a 300-year-old musical masterpiece. Same people cannot get over the Pope quoting from a 700-year-old text. Same people behead innocent hostages in front of the camera. What were they looking for when they moved to the free world? They could have enjoyed the freedom of blissful ignorance and totalitarian religion where they originally came from.

Good luck with your blog! It's very hard work, I know.

9/30/2006 6:31 PM  
Blogger W.R. Chandler said...

See Michelle Malkin's blog for her latest entry. She has a picture of the Mohammad dashboard bobblehead. It is now on sale for $29.99. That ought to ruffle some feathers!

www.michellemalkin.com

10/01/2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

I saw that chanman and I am so ordering one as soon as I have the cash. They totally don't understand our mindset. If you throw a fit, we make more fun of you. We love getting an outrageous reaction to minor slights and want to see how freaked out you'll get. It's fun!

10/01/2006 11:46 PM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

And Michelle Malkin is a daily read for me. All of my links are.

10/01/2006 11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Nebraska girl,

Here's a radio clip from Dennis Prager that speaks to what you have here. I think you'll like it.

http://www.townhall.com/Talkradio/Show.aspx?RadioShowID=3&page=2

Go to:

31 . Friday September 22, 2006
If You Say We Are Violent… With Dennis Prager
Prager H1: We will kill you. This is the twisted logic of the radical Islamic world. Charles Krauthammer points out that these people have no sense irony or humor…

Have a good day!

10/06/2006 2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home