Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Pay up?

So I'm reading this article and I'm wondering, does any judge think this is fair? Not a single person in my family ever owned slaves. Most of my ancestors came over right around the time of the Civil War. They were poor farmers who wandered out into the Great Plains for the opportunity to own land. But if this goes through I am going to have to pay for it. How is that fair? I have a credit card issued by BoA, and my interest rate will skyrocket if someone doesn't stop this nonsense. I have a novel idea...stop blaming slavery for your problems and put a little effort into your life. You just might get somewhere that way.

Thank you for reading my blog, and please feel free to comment!

2 Comments:

Blogger nebraska girl said...

Pirate, thanks for reading my blog and commenting. I agree that slavery was a horrible thing for those that had to live through it, but punishing people today for the sins of the distant past it just insane. Maybe as a decendant of Irish immigrants I can sue the British for forcing my ancestors off their land. I wanna get rich for doing nothing too *whine*

9/29/2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger W.R. Chandler said...

Hey! I'm part Choctaw Indian. I don't think my ancestors got enough of the cut. Of course, I am also part Irish and German (hence, white). Does that mean I would have to pay myself for my past oppression?

This whole reparations for slavery is just a ruse so dishonest activists can line their pockets with ill-gotten gains from Uncle Sugar.

By the way, if anyone tries to justify all this by bringing up the Japanese-American internment camps during World War II, remind them that money was paid to people who actually were in the camps. The money was not paid to their ancestors 140 years after the fact.

I think that the legal charlatans who are filing these lawsuits should be sanctioned by the courts and forced to pay all the legal fees for the defendants.

10/01/2006 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home