Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Fresh Start

Since I obviously haven't been using this blog, I've been putting some thought into what to do with it. Part of the problem is that I am not currently working on my teaching degree. I decided to get a BA in History with a Minor in Political Science. I went this route because I can get a degree quicker (by a whole year) and with a degree I have a chance of landing a permanent position at my current job. I would still love to be a teacher, but I really LOVE the work I currently do, and can see myself doing it until I'm old and grey.

But, teaching is still on the menu. Since I have to be a student to keep my current job, I have devised a plan. I will get my BA in History, and if I fail to get a permanent position (not an easy thing to do actually) I will continue on and get my Master's in Education.

So back to the direction of the blog. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter if anyone reads this or not. It's more of a place to note things that have caught my attention and to vent or cheer about events in my life. If you do read this blog...thanks and please comment so I know you're out there.

Thank you,
Nebraska Girl

3 Comments:

Blogger hick town teacher said...

Does Nebraska hire history teachers or coaches posing as history teachers?
I received my BA in History Secondary ED and a minor endorsement in English nine years ago. I have never been hired to teach history. Five years ago, I sincerely looked, but administrators just told me they really didn't have need of a history teacher to fill the position. What they wanted was an experienced coach that could win the school games. At our high school, we only have one real history teacher; the rest are coaches who just hit play on the VCR. To be honest, I wouldn't want to teach history anymore. I love teaching literature, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because of the papers English teachers have to grade.

If you're considering a minor endorsement and don't want to spend countless hours after school grading, get an endorsement in math, PE, or health. If you want to be hired immediately after graduation, get your endorsement in chemistry, physics, or special ed. The govt. is also forgiving up to $17,000 of your Stafford loan if you teach math, science or special ed. at a low income school for 5 years.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/cancelstaff.jsp?tab=repaying

2/20/2008 11:07 PM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

HTT,
It's kind of a mixed bag here. I know some history teachers who do not coach and I know some history teachers who do. We have a lot of PE and math teachers who coach also. Also, in my area, even the coaches have to be pretty good teachers. It's rare around here to have one of those "good ol boy" teachers who let the athletes get away with anything, but it does still happen.

As for the endorsement part...if I don't get an endorsement in a subject that I'm interested in and enjoy, what's the point. If I dislike the subject I can't imagine that I'll be a very good teacher.

Thanks for commenting!

2/21/2008 10:19 PM  
Blogger IGotYourBackMan said...

I think your blog is great (and thanks for posting on mine too).I think you are doing the right thing here. Teaching may be in your blood, but I believe the best teachers are the ones who did something else for a while out in the great wide world, if you know what I mean. I hope you land a permanent position, cause its sounds like a cool job.
From reading your other posts it seems like you and I think alike. Anyway, thanks for stopping by IGotYourBackman. I'm gonna include your blog in my new "other blogs I like" links if that is ok with you.
Sincerely,
PT

3/16/2008 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home