Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Interview lessons

I volunteered to be on the policy council for the local Head Start this year. Thursday they called and asked if I would help interview for a position that was open. The council has to approve new hires, so they like a member to help with the hiring process. I found being an interviewer to be very enlightening.

What not to do in an interview....
1. Dress like you're going to the grocery store/laundry mat/city park. Seriously don't wear jeans.

2. Go in with absolutely no knowledge of what the company does. If you don't know what we do, can you really want to work here?

3. Give out personal information about your home life. Seriously the interviewer doesn't need to know unless it is something that may affect your ability to be on the job when needed (seriously ill child/spouse, etc is possibly need to know)

4. When asked why you want the position, state "I just really need a job" At least state why you want this job. Good hours for your family life, enjoyment of aspects of job.

After sitting through some interviews as the interviewer, I have to wonder if I ever looked that clueless in an interview. I'm sure I did, but I know I'll never be unprepared for an interview again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home