Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Friday, August 01, 2008

My how the time flies...

Unfortunately it's been longer than I wanted it to be since I last posted. In my defense things got really busy around here. Bub spent a week at my parents' house, and Shorty felt that we should do something with our mother/daughter time so we did a lot of nails/make-up nights.

We then spent a weekend at Mom & Dad's where we celebrated Bub's birthday and went tubing on the river. This is an annual family event, and I absolutely love it. Well except for the fact that we hit the river at 2:30 in the afternoon...when it was already 102 degrees out. I will never get on the river after 8am again. It was way too hot!

This week work has been insane. Our office has been going through major upheaval on many different levels. We have a brand new head honcho (she hasn't even moved into her house yet) and both staff positions that are below her are in acting status while we look for permanent people for them. The inmates are running the asylum.

On top of that, the head head honchos have decided that our servers are a waste of money, so we are moving to a centralized "data farm" in KC. This is a MAJOR thing. We have to clean-up and organize all our data (read: get people to give us the stuff they've been hoarding on their hard drives for the last...forever!). And guess what....Windows 2000 (which is what most of us were still using) doesn't work in the new environment, so we have to replace almost every computer we have. Conservative guess on that is 130 computers to swap out. It took me a day and a half to swap out mine (keep in mind that I'm considered one of the more tech savvy people on the payroll).

The icing on the cake is the fact that the budget is due next week and we've been told that anything that remains of this year's budget will probably be diverted to more important programs so we can't buy anything else until October 1.

In case you didn't know, I work for a government agency so we'll more than likely be operating under a continuing resolution until after the new president takes office. This makes it hard to set a budget because we don't know how much money we're being given to work with but we can almost guarantee it will be 10% less than last year. We operate on half a shoestring here.

The upside is that I get to go to a rodeo tomorrow and take pictures of our bucking horses in action. I'm also trying to set up a real website for our bucking horse business. I really wish it was as easy as blogger. *sigh* I entered three of my pictures in the county fair and I'll find out Sunday how they did. I hope they did ok. There were some really nice pictures there.

Hope everyone else has had a less stressful couple of weeks. Thanks for reading my blog and please feel free to comment.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing the photos. Good luck in the transition at work :)

8/07/2008 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home