Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Train Wreck

Wow. Life totally train wrecked yesterday. Actually it started on Monday....

Monday morning, no paycheck. This is rare, but it does occasionally happen. Our official pay date is on Thursdays so they technically have until then to pay us. I call the finance center anyway just to make sure the moolah was on it's way. Nope! They didn't show a record of receiving my timesheet. So I faxed a copy of my signed timesheet and waited for a phone call.

Tuesday....still waiting for that phone call. I decide to be a pain in the butt and call again to ask about the status of my case. The nice lady on the phone tells me that they will have to do a manual pay for me and it can take 3-5 days. My supervisor doesn't think this is acceptable since I had my timesheet in on time and they lost it, so she tries to get the ball rolling faster.

BRICK WALL!!!!!

It turns out that the paperwork that my supervisor was supposed to turn in so that my employment was extended through the new semester never got turned in. She forgot about it. So I was officially not employed as of December 20th. Apparently I've been working for the last 3 weeks for FREE! A flurry of paperwork ensued as they tried to get the paperwork in and backdated. So far it's working through the system, and they tell me that as soon as I'm officially employed again they'll try to get a rush on my paycheck. In the meantime I have $3.00 to my name. Luckily I keep a stash of ramen noodles around for times like this.

So of course I was upset....ok, I was bawling! Then my phone rings...it's my cousin calling to tell me that my great aunt has passed away that morning. This great aunt had helped raise my mom and her brothers and sisters (7 kids total) after their mom (my grandma) passed away during childbirth when my mom was 4. So at this point I'm sitting at my desk sobbing. My supervisor was nice enough to give me some cash for groceries until I get paid again, and she sent me home and told me to use my sick leave as berevement leave.

So here's to hoping that the federal bureauracracy moves a little faster than normal this week so I can get paid again! Also, blogging will be pretty much non-existant for the rest of the week. Hope everyone has a much better week than I'm having!

Thanks for reading my blog and please feel free to comment.

6 Comments:

Blogger You have got to be kidding me... said...

I'm so sorry Jenny.

1/15/2009 1:07 PM  
Blogger Mrs4444 said...

So sorry about your aunty... And the check thing. I can relate, as my husband's company didn't pay him either. Still no sign of it, either. We are sweating...

1/15/2009 4:16 PM  
Blogger KandeeInNY said...

Sigh, when it rains - it pours.
Try to look for the rainbow after the rain.

1/17/2009 11:53 AM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

Thanks Kandee. I'm usually a glass half full type of gal, but this week was a rough one. I can be thankful that I still have a roof over my head, food on the table, and a loving and supportive family. Life overall is pretty great.

1/17/2009 9:28 PM  
Blogger Skeeter said...

Hi NebraskaG,

Sorry about your troubles. Gawd, 'tis the season fro train wrecks. Hope your check arrives soon and you don't have to be dining on the Ramen noodles too long.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

1/18/2009 12:18 AM  
Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I am so sorry about your great-aunt. Also the ramen noodle thing sounds grim.

I hope this week goes better for you! You're in my prayers!

1/20/2009 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home