Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Top 5 court cases of all time

For my Intro to Law class I'm supposed to list my top 5 legal cases of all time and tell why I think they're important. I know there are way more out there (and some that are way more important that the ones I can think of) so I decided to see what my loyal readers think are the most important.

I must admit, it's times like this that I wish I had a following of dozens so I could get tons of cases to look at. Lets just say that I have high hopes for the four of you.

The cases I can think of are Heller, Plessey v Ferguson, Dread Scott, Brown v Board of Education, Roe v Wade and Marbury v Madison.

Thanks for reading my blog and please, please, PLEASE comment! :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Skeeter said...

Hi Nebraska G!

I have one for you that is very, very near and dear to my heart. Here's the details from wikipedia:

Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967), was a landmark civil rights case in which the United States Supreme Court declared Virginia's anti-miscegenation statute, the "Racial Integrity Act of 1924", unconstitutional, thereby overturning Pace v. Alabama (1883) and ending all race-based legal restrictions on marriage in the United States.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

2/01/2009 3:02 AM  
Blogger Darren said...

You've definitely got some good ones there. The case I mention most often is from the California Supreme Court, Hartzell v. Connell. It states that extracurricular activities like athletics and cheerleading are part of the school "curriculum" and, hence, districts cannot charge for participation in them.

2/17/2009 8:14 PM  
Blogger Darren said...

West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette is a good one and McCollum v. Board of Education is another.

If you want to get a little political, In Re Sealed Case (2002) in the FISA Court of Appeal stated clearly that the President has the authority to conduct warrantless wiretaps of private international phone conversations and email messages.
http://rightontheleftcoast.blogspot.com/2009/01/warrantless-wiretaps.html

2/17/2009 8:20 PM  
Blogger Mrs4444 said...

A couple of the ones you offered are the ones that also came to my mind, but I don't know that the Dredd Scott decision would make my "Top 5." As I recall, didn't he get screwed in that decision?

2/27/2009 2:36 PM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

Just because a decision was wrong doesn't make it unimportant

2/27/2009 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home