Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Monday, September 08, 2008

The phone call you hate.

I got one of those phone calls today. My dad called and told me that L has passed away after a long, brave battle against lung cancer. I wrote about the last time I saw L on July 20, 2008. I'll figure out the link thing later.

I'd known L all my life and he was basically an uncle although his family and mine weren't blood related. He had a big booming voice, a wonderful laugh, told the greatest stories, was a wonderful hunter, made beautiful saddles, and was an all around wonderful man.

Tonight my heart is broken. His family lives at the opposite end of the state and with classes, work, and some recent car troubles, I'm not sure I'll be able to attend his service. It hurts so much to say that.

At the end of the family reunion in July, L gave me a big hug and said to me "Take care kiddo. I love you." I'm so glad I got to tell him I love him too. All too often we don't get or don't take that opportunity.

And because I know I never said it often enough, I love you Lewie, hope God loves your hunting stories as much as we did.

2 Comments:

Blogger Skeeter said...

Real sorry for your loss Nebraska Girl.

Best wishes to all,

Skeeter

9/11/2008 7:16 AM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

Thanks for the kind words Skeeter.

9/12/2008 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home