Wide Open Spaces

The blog of a college student working on her BA in History

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Plains, United States

I'm a 30 year old mother of two. I'm in my junior year at a small college in the Central US, and working on my Bachelor of Arts degree in History with a Minor in Political Science.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

That shattering sound is my sanity.

I got a call last night. My ex was on the phone to ask if he could see the kids. I was slightly confused because he lives 400 miles away.

Guess who moved 8 block away from my house...the person I despise most in the world! I quit smoking in February, but let me tell you it's really tempting to light one up right now.

I immediately texted my little brother because he's the person I find it easiest to spill out my heart to. He told me to let him know if the ex needs slapped around a bit. This made me laugh. I call him my little brother, but he's 6'3", 270 pounds and plays offensive line on his college team. He also stated that he has some big friends that he can bring with him.

So my whole life has been thrown into turmoil. I now have to deal with him being involved in their day to day life. Sports, concerts, possibly parent-teacher conferences are all no longer mine to enjoy. I now have to deal with him and how his actions affect the kids. I'll put it this way, if he was a nice person I would still be with him.

In other news, I'm taking more senior pictures tomorrow. I don't know the kid I'm taking pictures for, nor do I know his parents. His mom saw the picture of the girl from earlier in the summer and got my number from her mom. I have another set of pictures coming up in October that I'm taking for the same reason. The mother of that one actually saw the picture of the girl that I entered in the fair and tracked down the mom to ask about me. Wish me luck with those and pray for my sanity.

Thanks for reading my blog and please feel free to comment.

6 Comments:

Blogger Skeeter said...

Well, that's an unusual request, Nebraska G., but best of luck to you and here are prayers, wishes and the best of intentions for your sanity.

Me? I don't miss mine at all. It's been replaced with a remarkably fun sense of perspective ;-)

Best wishes,

Skeeter

9/27/2008 8:59 PM  
Blogger Mrs4444 said...

Well, I would go out of my way to invite him to EVERY event you can possibly think of; if he thinks you will LIKE his being there, he'll probably tire of the idea and stop coming :)

9/27/2008 11:02 PM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

Just the thought of him being at every even gives me that nails on the chalkboard feeling. The fact is he's one of those parents that make you think "That poor child, that has to be so embarrassing for him." He has no internal controls. He says whatever comes to mind and it doesn't matter who's around. It's shocking if he doesn't use the F word at least once in every sentence.

I feel bad that my kids have to pay the price for my young stupidity. It was one of those "I can change him." moments that us girls have sometimes.

9/27/2008 11:08 PM  
Blogger Eva said...

Ugh. I think I would go crazy if my ex moved that close to me. Right now, he's working in Qatar, which is basically as far away from here that you can get without leaving the planet. Works for me! I can't imagine how frustrated you are. Hang in there!

9/27/2008 11:47 PM  
Blogger nebraska girl said...

Eva, I'm jealous. I wish my ex was in Qatar.

9/27/2008 11:50 PM  
Blogger Technonana said...

Oh Boy.. this is a really huge deliema... and frightening as well... I am glad for you that you have a brother close by and it may not be a bad idea to let the ex know he is there and very supportive of you. You never know what gets in to a person's head sometimes...
I will certainly keep you and your children in my prayers.

9/29/2008 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home